Saturday, November 24, 2012

So I didn't get the job...

A week or two ago I mentioned that I had been sucked back in to going on to the academic job market.

Mercifully, this particular recruitment round was short and sweet and as I suspected, I never made the short-list.

So. That's that.

I guess I am stuck doing what I doing. For now anyway. Because the one thing about not having an academic career anymore is that I don't have a sense of being "trapped" - I know that when I decide it's time to move on, it's simply time to start applying for jobs again. And then wait until I get another one.

Beauty.

Academic jobs really are scarcer than hens teeth. Now that I am out, I can see how ridiculous the whole framework is and how little control you have over what you can and can't do. Making the decision to get out, find another job and take the first one I was offered has really freed me up to take control of what I do in and out of my working life.

Sacrificing one's career comes with a lot of heartbreak, I admit. It was also kind of naiive of me to think that I could go from being an academic to a desk jockey without having to deal with other people's prejudices. And I think you know how much fun that's been for me in the workplace. I swear it's them and not me - it's not like I have been swanning about calling myself Dr. and pretending I am super smart or anything. But the fact is, going from doing quite sophisticated and  complex work to doing what I do now is that it doesn't use enough off my brainpower. I really do need to do something more challenging. 40 hours a week is way too long to spend doing work that really isn't hard enough.

But hey - I know I have options. One day I will move on. Sooner rather than later. For the meantime though, I will just keep making the most of my spare time.

4 comments:

  1. Have you read this ebook? I've voraciously eaten up everything I can find on the subject of alternative PhD pathways and it's the best I've found.

    Best of luck to you.

    http://www.selloutyoursoul.com/how-to-find-a-career-with-your-humanities-degree-in-126-days-ebook/

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello
    you must visit http://www.superithub.com join us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing... If anyone wants to get hold to the best tools can visit Ahrefs Group Buy which is famous tool provider for your website development.

    ReplyDelete